Sunday, March 16, 2008

Update on Life

The last time I wrote I had just returned from Arno. That seems so long ago! Nothing too exciting has been going here. We have wrapped up the 3rd quarter of school and am now in the second week of 4th quarter. It seems impossible that the year has gone so fast. I am feeling intense amount of pressure to make every day as education packed as possible. This feeling combined with the 4th quarter wiggles that my students are suffering is creating a little tension in the classroom. I am trying to relax and make the lessons as engaging as possible. I will keep you updated.

The week I returned from Arno we had Education Week. Education Week was centered on the motto “Students First”. Elders in the community came to tell stories to the children, women in the community taught the students local handy crafts, teachers read their favorite stories, we had a field day, a walkathon, and I officiated a spelling bee. Over all I was very impressed with the week. It really got the community involved in the school and was a great experience for me and the kids. Jenny and a women from the community work on weaving plates from palm tree leaves.
Mark, Wisa, and I are glad we are done walking!

This past weekend was Robyee and Courtney’s joint birthday party. We went all out and for a moment it felt like I was not living in the Marshall Islands. I even used a blow dryer! The girls rented the same bungalow that my mom had every local ri-belle over for drinks and dancing!

Robyee learned her lesson at my mom's party. She will never dangle her toes in the Pacific again!

Sunday was the end to the sailing season. We sailed out to a small island where we had a picnic. We ate an 80-pound tuna and listened to Ben and two visiting musicians jam. It was a perfect Sunday. This upcoming weekend I have Friday off for Good Friday and the following Monday and Tuesday off for spring break. I am headed back to Arno for Friday to Monday to visit Greg with my friend Tim. I love Arno because, unlike the past weekend, I feel like I am really experiencing a cultural experience. I get to speak in Marshallese, walk on parts of the earth that very few people have ever seen, enjoy amazing snorkeling, and solitude.

No comments: