Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter Weekend

For Easter weekend Tim and I traveled back to Arno to visit Greg. We left Friday morning on the boat and arrived in Inea, Arno a little after noon. Marshallese custom is very strict when it comes to observing the “no work rule” on holy days. Because Friday was Good Friday our activity options were very limited. We were not able to go swimming, fishing, or anything else that might seem to “work-ish.” I choose to set up my hammock and spent the day reading and sleeping under the shade of a palm tree near the Arno lagoon. Shucks!

Around 5 the bells began to ring. I showered, put on my mumu, and joined the boys for church. Church only lasted about an hour, but following church Greg also had to attend choir practice. Tim and I headed back to Greg’s house to wait for him to finish, but within 30 minutes were both sound asleep.
Tim is tired of giving "goo goos" (piggy back rides) to Rino and takes his turn!

Saturday morning we work up and headed out on a walk down to the next village. We had heard that there was a sunken WWII plane in the lagoon just off the beach. As we walked we stopped and talked with many people. I ran into some kids and somehow ended up doing an impromptu drawing lesson in the sand. We also looked at maps of the Arno Atoll with the Iroj (king) of the atoll, and drank coconuts with one of Greg’s fellow teachers.
Drawing in the sand.

Easter morning we headed to church about 10:30. The service only lasted about 2 hours, but was then followed by HOURS of programs. All of the different villages on Arno were represented and did their beat. (dance) We took a break around three for a big Easter meal. The meal was hard boiled eggs, donuts, rice, beef soup (i think), and turtle. Now, I know that turtles are not only endangered but also my dad and Lisa's pet of choice, but... well... it tastes a little like beef jerky. When in Rome...
Easter Sevice

Around 8 at night we finished with church and treated the kids to the American tradition of roasting marshmallows over the fire! It was a blast. Once the kids got all doped up on sugar we went back to Greg's for a short nights sleep before the truck to take us back to the dock arrived at 4am. Luckly, they arrived at 4am Marshallese time! (6am)
Doped up on sugar outside Greg's house!

Nothing exciting coming up in the next few weeks. I am going to work on organizing my game of capture the flag that I have been wanting to do all year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, the hussle of American Life is going to bum you out when you return. Whit is moving home, she does not like the public transportation thing in Chicago...we saw Matt and Mels new home, it is wonderful. I'm sure you are excited they have moved to champaign. We will be excited to see you...Aunt Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Kate,
Well we are here and waiting for you! The move went very well, I we did lose some stuff and broke a few glasses, but that is all. I have been working for 1 week and I love my new job, Mel also has been doing well, she is lookinf forward to new clients. The dogs have made the transistion well also, they love the back yard, and all their dog neighbors. We put out a bird/squirral/bunny feeder for entertainment, Abby hates birds. The weather has been a shock, much colder, but this weekend the weather should be very nice